Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Instant healing??

Something really crazy happened today. As I posted this morning, I woke up with intense left shoulder pain, which I believed was originating from an inflammed supraspinatus and the long head of the biceps (slept on the shoulder for ?? hours). For most of the day, the pain was very limiting and sharp. I was almost non-functional with the L arm due to the intense pain. I was even considering holding off training for a day or two until the acute pain diminshed. Then, around 3pm I headed into a 2 hour meeting. There is no doubt in my mind the pain was intense when I arrived at the meeting site...since I remember having a hard time putting on my suit jacket as I got out of the car. To my total surprise, my shoulder pain had improved 85% post-meeting. I can't explain it. I've had bouts of acute pain in pretty much all my joints at one point or another. Never have I had this happen where such acute pain was present, then without a "clicking back in" or "popping back in" episode it returns to pretty much normal. As I'm typing on my laptop right now, I keep moving it just amazed at the absence of the pain from this morning. What I'm trying to say in a very verbose way...I'm definitely happy about it!

As you can assume, I headed straight to the gym after my last meeting. My friend Sean joined me in the training session today. He's been wanting to lose a few pounds and get ready for road biking and golf season. Held up well considering he hasn't resistance trained in a long time and has been restricted due some orthopedic issues. Hope he sticks with his goal to train 3 times a week. I felt great once again and was extra careful with my exercise selection to prevent re-injury.

The following is a picture of Sean doing dips.



My workout today-DONE...

Warm-up: Treadmill 5 min (begin with 6 degrees/3.8 mph. increase incline a degree/30 sec)

Resistance Training:

1. Bench push-ups (25-20-20)

2. BB bent-over rows 50 lbs (20-20-20)

1. Seated row 35 lbs (20-15-15)

2. Hi standing unilateral cable row/twists 30 lbs (15-15-15)

1. Modified deadlifts 35 lbs DB (15-15-15)

2. Lunges 20 lbs DB (15-15-15)

Rowing machine (level 10 intense) 5 min

1. DB bicep curls (ONE SET: Bilat curls - Bilat hammer curls - Alt bicep curls) (10-10-10)

2. Dip progressives (ONE SET: legs straight - knees bent at 90 degrees) (25-20)

1. Kettlebell squats 25 lbs (20-20-20)

2. S/L KB contra floor reach 15 lbs (15-10-10)

Abs:

1. V-twists KTC (25-20-20)

2. Crunches (25-20-20)

3. Plank crunches (10-10)

RPE: 15 TIME: 50 min


MEALS:

-BREAKFAST: Super shake (30g of protein) and fish oil

-LUNCH: Cuban food (chicken steak, lentil/bean soup, salad, and some rice and beans) mmm

-DINNER: 1/2 of whole fish, 3 small meat patties, a little potato egg salad, and baby bokchoy-oyster mushroom dish

-SNACK: Trader Joe's granola (love this stuff)
-SNACK: whey protein shake (25g)
Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment